Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blog 2

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This video was depressing! It really focused on the negative aspects of college, and I agree with most of the points that it made but not all. I think that while colleges could use changes their is so much more positive to be gained than negative. This video captured some of my college experiences such as the big class sizes and teachers not knowing my name but that was in my freshman and sophomore years of college. Some of the points were things I had never really thought about, like the that some jobs that students will be doing when they graduate have not been invented yet! How crazy is that to think about.
Some things the video could have added to more reflect my experiences are a lot more positive because college is not a negative experience, at least not for me. We might come out in debt, had teachers that will never know us, and some classes we will never use but it is also about friends and experiences that you have along the way. College is such a great time to grow, learn, and really start to express yourself as an individual. So I would have liked to have seen a better representation of both.

"It's Not About the Technology," By Kelly Hines
I really enjoyed reading this post, her ideas were really inspiring and she definitely got me thinking. I have been some what worried because students are so far advance with technology these days and I might not be able to keep up with my class and in turn not be a good teacher. I agree so much that its not about the technology. I feel like if I strive to be the best teacher that I can be then technology will not be the determining factor in whether or not I am a great teacher but will only aid in taking me to the next level in reaching my students. I think that it is so important to always learn new things and use all the resources that we have a our disposal.
Technology can not make a bad teacher a good teacher, but it can make a good teacher better. I think that teachers should have a desire to learn to use technology or any tool that helps to give their students a richer experience. How can a teacher expect their students to have a desire to learn if they do not have a desire themselves. We should be willing to do whatever we need to in order to give our students the tools to be successful in today society.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I think that it is definitely not okay to be technologically illiterate. So many things are done on computers and on the Internet in schools that I do not see how teachers can still be. Most schools do roll and lunch on computers at least. Teachers should not be proud of being technologically illiterate instead they should do something about it. I think in order to be a good teacher you have to find out what works best for your class and I do not believe that this can be achieved with out some technology. Teachers can not be afraid to try new things and strategies just because they do not know everything about it, technology changes everyday nobody knows everything. We can not be scared to fail.
Although I think that all teachers should have some knowledge of technology, I do not believe it is the most important thing. Teachers can be great teacher without technology because they have been for many years. The point is that teachers should want to be technologically literate because our students need us to be.


Gary Hayes Social Media Count
This is a great counter to show just how much technology everyone does use every day. It makes you think about how many messages, e-mails, apps, songs, etc. you buy and use everyday. This is just one way to prove how important it is for teachers to incorporate technology into the classroom, it is everywhere why should the classroom be an exception?
Numbers are such a great way to present information like this because its something that most people do not ever think about. It will be interesting to see what the counter looks like a few years from now. People depend on technology, kind of a little scary to see how fast things go.


1 comment:

  1. Hillery,

    I agree with your post on the Vision of Students Today video. I also felt like it didn't truly depict my overall college experience. While we agree that there are times when teachers do not know our name, but that isn't the point of college in my opinion. I have also had a great time in college. I also think that a lot of times, students have negative experiences because they have a bad attitude and simply don't care. Every time I had tried to connect with a teacher, they always respond, and I get so much out of their class. I like that you said "College is such a great time to grow, learn, and really start to express yourself as an individual." In these past three years of college, I have grown and learned so much. College has been such a wonderful time for me, and I hate to see it end.

    ReplyDelete