Sunday, June 20, 2010

Post 5

http://www.teachersnetwork.org/ntny/nychelp/technology/smartbrd.htm

The Smartboard debate
I think that both sides make good arguments. Staton's argument was the weaker of the three to me because his facts were not all that good. He seemed to be venting instead of making a valid argument. While Ferriter made some great points. Both of these blogs pointed out that this was not changing the way teachers taught it was just enhancing the way teacher already teach. Smartboards are still at the front of the room and are made to help teachers give lectures and the same things they do without the boards. Money was also a big theme in both blogs, they both seemed really concerne d that schools were throwing money away on the boards when they could be used for other things the schools need. That you can not buy change.
The other side of the argument list great ways that teachers can use the board in the class. This teacher raves about how much use she gets out of her smartboard. She talks about how much more exciting the smartboards make her lessons even things like reviewing tests. The blog also discusses how many workshops and videos are out there to help you take full advantage of the smartboard. All the blogs make some strong points. The first to make me want to go and take all the boards out of the classroom while the last one makes me excited to learn more.

Chipper And EDM 310 for dummies
Both of the videos were really fun to watch. I think that both were creative ideas and a EDM for dummies should definitely be written. I think that I would like to be in any project that helps other students. I always think its nice when friends prepare me for a class that they have already taken. I think it would be helpful if there were a rate my professor type website but with classes maybe even through video where students could be more informed about the classes they were going to take. Of course there would be draw backs to this because of the negative things that could get passed along but some information is better than none. I think that any kind of resourceful video would be something I like doing.

3 comments:

  1. I have had a IWB for the last six years and I think they are a waste of money. There are two main reasons for this:

    1) They don't change the teacher/student interaction. The teacher is still at the front of the class just like with the old chalkboard.

    2) They make teachers, administrators, and parents think that the students are using technology in the classroom. This is obviously false. The amount of time spent by any one student using the IWB in a way different from how they would use a white board is minimal.

    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct Hillary, regarding the IWBs, there are good points to be made on both sides of the issue. The two points Mr. Chamberlain made are key, especially coming from a current user.

    In my view, as I have commented in other blogs, IWBs are clearly better than a chalkboard. I really think that if they were more reasonably priced the issue of whether or not to use them would be mute. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that if the teacher is using a IWB like a chalk board then it is not worth the money, but if a teacher uses it and actually interacts with the students then it could be another great teaching tool. I believe it depends on the teacher and the outcome they want from it.

    I would also like to know what site gave you the positive feedback on the IWB. Either a direct link or website address to read for ourselves would have been nice. Just something to think about for future post.

    ReplyDelete